January 9, 2008

Fort Bend Fit - Sugar Land, Texas

What a wonderful time I had at the Fort Bend Fit Pasta Dinner in Sugar Land, Texas! Fort Bend Fit is part of USA FIT and they have chapters all over the country.

I was the keynote speaker at their Pasta Dinner in preparation for the Houston Marathon pasta dinner.

What a beautiful drive it is from the Austin area over to Sugar Land. Sugar Land is near Houston area, which is about a three hour drive! Lots of trees, along with rolling hills and farmland, I just loved it! Like they say "you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy". I passed through Brenham, Texas, which is the home of Blue Bell Creameries!

My host for the event was team leader, Terrie Gorney, she along with her many volunteers, really had the ballroom at the Sweetwater Country Club decorated nicely, almost like a Hollywood Academy Award presentation! The theme for the night “Running with the Stars”...a takeoff of "Dancing with the Stars". Most of the gals wore long dresses and many of the men were wearing tuxes along with running shorts and running shoes, it was quite the sight to see!

The event kicked off at 6:30 and I arrived early and sold and autographed my book "Staying the Course" and John Brant's book "Duel in the Sun". We then had an awesome buffet type dinner of many different pastas, salads, breads, and desserts.

My talk started after dinner and what a ball I had! There were over 300 runners and I really got into my talk and they got into listening and when that happens, it’s like magic for me! I spoke for about 50 minutes. After my talk they gave out some special awards and then I stayed after and signed more books and had a great time chatting to lots of folks.

Thanks to Terrie and the whole gang with Fort Bend Fit, I had a wonderful time!
Dick

No comments: