October 30, 2008

Black Hills State University


I flew into Rapid City, South Dakota, and my good friend and the Dean of the Business School at Black Hills State University, Priscilla Romkema picked me up and we made the beautiful 45 minute drive to Spearfish, South Dakota. I've been to Spearfish a few times over the years to speak and it's a great town of 12,000 people on the northern end of the gorgeous Black Hills.

Monday evening I had the pleasure of having dinner with Paul and Kathy Young, I've known Paul and Kathy for over 20 years and they are wonderful people! Paul is Priscilla's brother and was on our staff when my best friend Mike Dunlap and I had a running camp out in the Black Hills back in the mid 80's.

Tuesday morning it was out early for a nice eight mile run and then off to BHSU for the first of a few talks that day that I gave to different student classes. Tuesday afternoon, I spent with Scott Walkinshaw and the BHSU Men's and Women's XC Team, I was invited to run their workout with them, but I decided to watch and cheer instead, as they were doing mile repeats on the track, way faster then I could ever do them now!

Tuesday evening I had dinner with Priscilla and her husband Fred, and Jerry and Elaine Dunn, all of us runners, so we had lots to talk about!

I was up early Wednesday morning for a nice 8 mile run with the men's XC team, thankfully they were very kind to me and didn't run to fast! Afterwards I spoke to one of Coach Walkinshaw's sports psychology class, it was lots of fun!

Wednesday afternoon I spoke to a bunch of business graduate students and then it was time for my keynote address to the students, faculty, and also open to the public, we had a nice crowd and my talk went real well.

Afterwards the XC team hosted a get together along with a silent auction to raise money for the team, during the get together a microphone was passed around the crowd and I answered many questions, it was really a great time!

Thursday morning it was up early for a beautiful run along the rolling hills and pines of Spearfish, then onto the airport for my trip to Springfield, MO.

I'd like to say a big thanks to Priscilla, Coach Walkinshaw, the faculty of BHSU, and the entire community of Spearfish for making my stay such a enjoyable one!

No comments: