August 17, 2008

5-Star Cross-Country Camp , (Iriquois Springs)

I woke up at 3:15 am and got a nice 8 mile run in and then it was back on the plane for my flight to Newark, NJ. I arrived in Newark about 11:45am, picked up my rental car and started heading for Rock Hill, NY for the 5-Star Cross-Country Camp. Thank goodness for my Garmin! I punched in the address and "she" got me through that tangled mess of highways in the NYC area! I didn't have to drive too far out of the big city and I was out into the beautiful NY countryside! I arrive at Iriquois Springs Camp where 5-Star is held and it's beautiful! I arrived around 3pm and was met by 5-Star camp director Steve Lurie.

Steve has been putting the 5-Star XC camp for 27 years, this was my 6th straight year to have been invited back to speak and run with the kids, I so look forward to it every year!

At about 4pm we all went for a 7 mile run, about a mile into the run it started pouring cats and dogs, what a ball we all had!

Every year there are about 150 kids that come to camp, and it is really well run!

Thursday night I gave my first of two talks, the kids were absolutely awesome!!!

Friday morning I was up early for a nice 12 mile run up and down the roads of the beautiful Catskill Mountains. The weather was cool which was sure a nice break from the heat and humidity of Austin!

After a nice breakfast with the kids, I sat in on a panel with some of the other coaches and we answered questions from the kids. Then took a short nap, had lunch, then signed my book "Staying the Course" for the kids.

After the book signing, it was off for a easy 5 mile run, and I watched the kids do their workout. They were doing quarter mile repeats on the grass and were having a ball! It had rained quite a bit before they ran, and the course turned quite muddy, that didn't bother them, the muddier the better!

I gave my last talk after the run and we all had a wonderful time, my second talk was on the "lighter" side and I even sang a few songs that I wrote along with playing the guitar, my talk and the songs went very well!

The last night of camp, each cabin puts on a skit, they are hilarious and some even did a skit that mimicked how I act and talk, I was cracking up!

Saturday morning I was up early for a easy 6 miler then back to the airport for my flight home.

Thanks Steve for once again inviting me to speak at your camp, as always I had a wonderful time and hope to be back again next year!

A big thanks to all the coaches, counselors, and the kids for making my visit such a wonderful one!

Dick

No comments: