November 10, 2008

Fort Worth Marathon

The Fort Worth Marathon is a brand new event, thanks to race director Steve Looney. Steve is a massage therapist in the Fort Worth area and has a organization called Run Like a Cheetah Training Program. This organization targets childhood obesity in Tarrant County public schools. by providing after-school running programs to promote health and fitness.

I arrived to the Fort Worth Hilton Hotel on Saturday afternoon, I parked my car across from the hotel, checked in, and then rested for a couple of hours before I went and spoke at the pasta dinner. I came out of the hotel around 5:45 to get into my car and head to the dinner, when I came out, my car was gone!!! I thought maybe I had come out the wrong side of the hotel, but nope, it was the right one.

I headed across the street and the manager of Del Frisco restaurant owner pointed to a sign that said "No Parking" I was parked a half block down the other direction where there was no sign. To make a long story short, it cost me $245 to get my car out of the impound lot!

The pasta dinner was nice, a small crowd with lots of great food! I gave a talk to the folks and it all went very well.

Sunday morning was cool and clear, a great day to run! All of the start and finish activities were at the LaGrave Field, which is the Fort Worth Cats baseball field, it was a super location for everything! At exactly 8AM the gun was fired and the 150 or so runners took off in either the half or the full marathon. I ran the half easy as I'm heading in for knee surgery on November 17. The race took a loop around the inside of the stadium and then off we went onto the trail system along the river. It is a very pretty course that is mostly flat as a pancake.

There was lots of good post race food and drink and they gave in a random drawing $1000 and $500!

The Fort Worth Marathon is a great little event that will continue to grow and be a staple in the Fort Worth running community! A big thanks to Steve Looney for putting on a fun well organized race that I look forward to years to come!

No comments: