November 13, 2008

The Running Event

Jim Davis, Dick Beardsley and Dave Shelbourne
Bart Yasso, Dick Beardsley and John Bingham

The Running Event, is usually held in Austin, Texas every year, but because the Austin Convention Center was unavailable this year, it was moved to Dallas, the folks in Dallas did a great job!

The Running Event is a convention held each November for owners and managers of specialty running stores around the country. I'm one of the owners of the Dick Beardsley Running Company store in Fargo, ND. We were the very first running specialty store in the whole state of North Dakota! With many things that I have my name attached to, I get way too much credit for its success! All of our partners work so hard and do such a incredible job, I couldn't be more proud of a group of people!

I arrived Sunday evening after the Fort Worth Marathon and checked into the Adolphus Hotel in downtown Dallas, what a gorgeous hotel! I picked up my good friend Dave Shelbourne from the New Balance Shoe Co. at the airport and we drove right to Bob and Rebbecca Wallace's home for a little get together. Bob and Rebbecca own one of the top running stores in the entire country, called Run On!

Monday morning I was up bright and early to go for a run, I met Thom Abrams from Superfeet and we hooked up for a nice 5 mile run. The rest of Monday was attending different seminars and seeing lots of old friends I hadn't seen for quite sometime. Monday evening I was heading back to the airport to pick up Greg Hammes and Greg Liebl, (we call him Junior), two of my good friends and partners in our running store. It was raining so hard that I had to turn back! I was able to get a hold of the Greg and they were able to take a cab to the hotel.

Tuesday morning it was up early for a nice 8 mile run with Greg and Junior, it was then onto another busy day of meetings. At 4pm, it was back to the airport to pick up my wife, Jill. She was flying in to attend the special Hall of Fame Banquet set for Tuesday night.

The Hall of Fame Banquet was wonderful! Jim Davis the owner of the New Balance Shoe Company was one of 3 people inducted into The Running Event Hall of Fame, they could not have inducted a more deserving person! I first met Jim back in the summer of 1980, he is the same wonderful person today as he was the first time I met him 28 years ago!

Wednesday morning I took Jill to the airport at 6AM for her flight home, she was back at work by 8! That morning they had a 5K road race for all the attendees, our own Greg Liebl (Junior) took second overall (15:30) and first among store owners, way to go Junior!!!

Wednesday was the opening of the incredible expo they put on! We got to see all the latest in running shoes and gear, much of it not even on the market yet! I spent about 3 hours that afternoon in the New Balance booth signing special posters New Balance had made up for me to sign.

Afterwards, it was time for me to pack up and head for home to get ready to head to San Antonio for the San Antonio Rock & Roll Marathon. I'd like to give a big thanks to Dave Shelbourne and New Balance for making my trip to The Running Event all possible, I had a great time!

No comments: