November 17, 2008

Rock & Roll San Antonio Marathon

Khalid Khannouchi
Jay Hilsher

Roger Soler


Frank, Khalid and Dick


WOW, is all I can say for the very first Rock & Roll Marathon in San Antonio! The Rock and Roll Marathons have been around for a few years now held in various cities around the country and have drawn huge crowds in a very fun atmosphere. Not only is it open for runners of all abilities, it also attracts a good elite field of men and women. A little over a year ago Rock and Roll decided to have one of their events in San Antonio, they said right off the get go that they would have 15,000 runners for the half and full marathon, that's huge, especially for a first time event! They didn't come close to that number, they had over 24,000 official starters, incredible!

My wife Jill and I drove down from Austin on Thursday evening and checked into our hotel. I was there on behalf of the New Balance Shoe Co. to give a few talks and also sign posters, bib numbers, have pictures taken, and so on at the New Balance booth, we had a wonderful time!

I attended the press conference and was asked to come up on stage with Gold Medalist, Frank Shorter, and former world record holder, Khalid Khannouchi. My old friend Tony Reavis was the MC and asked us questions about the state of running today and other running related questions.

My talks went well, and each talk was proceeded by my good friend Bart Yasso from Runners World Magazine. After Bart's talk, Bart would introduce me, he's a tough act to follow!

I also had a great visit with Roger Soler. Roger owns several running stores in the San Antonio area, Soler's Sports, and he has a great set up at the expo. He puts on several area events, including Sunmart, which is Texas Trail Endurance Run, which is either a 50 miler or 50k, your choice. This has always been in the back of my head to do.

Jill does a great job of taking pictures with folks and making sure they receive them, she also helps with my book sales, what a pleasure to have her with me at some of my speaking engagements!

Sunday morning was perfect for weather for a marathon, sunshine, cool, and no wind!

Thanks San Antonio for putting on such a wonderful event, keep up the great work!


No comments: