October 22, 2007

Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Marathon

I had a wonderful weekend in Detroit, Michigan at the 2007 Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Marathon.

I was there on behalf of New Balance as they are one of the sponsors. The expo opened Friday afternoon and I spent my time at the New Balance booth (my friend, Curt Munson, who owns Playmakers running store in Lansing and has two New Balance stores in the Detroit area) was my host.

Friday and Saturday, I also spent some time at the Marathon and Beyond magazine booth. It’s so enjoyable to meet so many different folks all after the same goal of finishing their marathon. I was in the Marathon and Beyond booth with my good friend Coach GP. He has a new edition of his book Run Tall, Run Easy. You can order it by going to Coach GP's website. I highly recommend his book.

Early Saturday morning I got up and got in my last long run before the Bass Pro Shop Marathon in Springfield, Missouri that I will be running on November 4. I did a 17 miler and felt pretty good on a very windy morning!

I had the chance to meet a person at the expo Saturday afternoon who is battling an addiction to narcotic pain medication. Hopefully I was able to give her hope to keep going and not give up the battle! Her husband and children were there with her and showed great support towards her.

Race day was sunny and windy. I helped with announcing until my voice gave out!

2:15 won the men’s division and 2:34 was the women’s winner. The 16,000+ runners in the marathon, half, and 5K all seemed to have enjoyed the day!

Off to Cozad, Nebraska this week to be the Keynote speaker at the Cozad Health Care Fall Ball.

Have a great day!

Dick

No comments: