April 22, 2008

Boston Marathon

Roger Robinson, Katherine Switzer and Dick Beardsley

Dick and Bart Yasso
Dick, Jill and Ryan Hall

It was then a quick drive back to Boston where my wife Jill was already checked into our hotel. She flew in from Austin that morning, it was nice to be able to give her a big hug and spend some precious time with her! That night we went to a showing of the Spirit of the Marathon. Such a wonderful and inspiring movie!

Friday morning was the start of the Boston Marathon weekend. I spent that afternoon at the Marathon & Beyond booth signing books, race numbers, taking pictures, whatever the folks wanted me to do. It’s always so much fun being in Boston for race weekend!

I also gave a talk hosted by Runner’s World Magazine. My good friend Bart Yasso from RW introduced me, and then I spoke about "The Duel in the Sun" the race Alberto Salazar and I had at Boston 26 years ago, that came down to a 100 meter sprint at the end where Alberto outkicked me by 2 seconds, 2:08:51 to my 2:08:53!

Saturday morning it was up early for an 11 mile run along the Charles River, I got back and my wife Jill was waiting and I did 3 more miles with her. Breakfast and then off to the expo. I again spent time at the Marathon & Beyond booth and the New Balance Shoe Company booth. I so like visiting with the runners! I was very busy all day long but the time went by very quickly!

Saturday night, Jill and I had a memorable get together at a local Mexican food restaurant with Dave Shelbourne and his wife, Ivette, son Justin and daughter, Katrina (Jill's new pen-pal).

Sunday morning up very early for a 12 mile run along the Charles River and then it was time to watch the Women’s Olympic Trials Marathon! This is a huge race for these women as the top 3 finishers will make our Olympic Team and represent the United States in the marathon at the Olympics in Beijing later this summer. After the race it was off for another full day of duties at the expo! I also had the pleasure of meeting Ryan Hall. What a kind young man!

Monday morning up for a run and then Jill and I watched the 112th running of the Boston Marathon on a perfect weather day for running! It was then time to pack up and fly back home to Austin.

What a very busy and enjoyable week I had in the Boston area, thanks to everyone who helped make it all happen!

No comments: