April 4, 2008

Carolina Day School

After the Chicago Tri Club talk, I flew back to Austin and had a 4 hour layover before I left on my next flight for Ashville, NC. My sister Maryann and her family have lived in the area for over 20 years, it’s gorgeous out there! I arrived to their home in Waynesville, NC at about midnight, my nephew, Isaac, was waiting up for me. My goodness he has grown!

The next morning it was out the door for a very hilly 10 miler. I don't think there is a flat spot in that part of the country! My sister Maryann is a teacher at the Carolina Day School in Asheville and she invited me to speak to the students there. It went great, but my sister had never heard me speak before. When I got to talking to the kids about my addiction, I could not look over at her, the one time I did I could see her crying and of course that got me all choked up!

Even though the two of us did not get along to well growing up, both her and my other sister Sheila and their families were always there for me during my toughest times in my life, that my friends is what family is all about!

Besides being there to speak, my main reason was for my niece Molly's Bat Mitzvah. She did an incredible job getting up in front of all the people at the synagogue and speaking many times in Hebrew! I even had to get up and read and my last line was words in Hebrew. I was like a cat on a hot tin roof I was so nervous that I would not say them right, but I did!

Thanks Maryann, Mark, Isaac, David, and a special thanks and congratulations to Molly for a task well done, I had a great time!

No comments: